Food allergies and labelling

Food allergies are becoming more common. If you think your child might be allergic to a particular food or group of foods, visit your GP to get your child tested. If your child is diagnosed with a certain food allergy, ask your GP or specialist how to manage your child’s allergies, any medication they might need, and how to effectively make an emergency plan, in case your child ever has a serious reaction to that food.  

Remember that if your child is diagnosed as being allergic to foods like milk or dairy,  you will need to read food labels very carefully at the supermarket and other shops. Some non-food products - shower gels, body creams, sun protection, and other skin products contain milk proteins or/and lactose (the sugars in milk). These products could cause your child to have an irritation or other reaction if applied to the skin. Be label smart and always seek advice from the qualified doctor if you are unsure about something. 

Non-food allergies

Children don’t just develop food allergies. They can also develop other allergies such as to pollen, trees, and dust. 

Make sure you get get your child tested if you think they may have an allergy of any kind. 

Allergens and triggers

If your child has an allergy or allergies, learn what all of their allergens are.

What foods or/and non-food items cause a allergic reaction? If your child has a food allergy, is it just the raw form of that food that causes a reaction? Or is it the raw and cooked food that causes an allergic reaction?

Learn what things or events can trigger your child’s allergies.

For example, if your child has a pollen allergy, bringing flowers into the home or taking them to a flower show may trigger a reaction. Or, if your child is allergic to trees, standing under a tree in the park could cause a reaction. 

Make sure you seek advice from your GP or a qualified doctor if you need advice and support or/and for your child to be prescribed with any necessary medicine.

If your child is having a severe allergic reaction (or/and has any of the following symptoms: difficulty breathing, blurred vision, dizziness, diarrhoea, fast heartbeat, fever, feeling faint, vomiting, slurred speech) you need to call 999 right away, or call the emergency services number for your country, if you are living outside of the UK.

Your child will need urgent medical help if they are having an anaphylactic reaction, or are at risk of anaphylaxis.